You can clean out household waste from your garage this weekend! Come to Rye Playland this Friday, March 18 from 12pm to 4pm or Saturday, March 19 from 8am to 4pm for the Household Material Recovery Days, where residents may drop off household waste that cannot be set out for curbside collection or recycling (residential waste only, no businesses, schools, etc.)
- Remember to close all bags and bottles tightly.
- All chemicals must be in original or labeled containers.
- Place all chemicals in sturdy box and in trunk of car.
There is no fee, but pre-registration is required for 100 pounds or more of solid material or 25 gallons or more of liquid. To pre-register, call the Recycling HelpLine at (914) 813-5425.
The Mobile Shredder is also available at these events. Residents may bring up to four boxes of your household personal papers to be shredded on-the-spot at no charge.
The following items are collected at the events:
- Most automotive fluids – antifreeze, brake fluid, gasoline
- Flammable liquids – kerosene, butane, charcoal fluid, turpentine
- Metal, jewelry and furniture polishes, wood preservatives, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, photographic and swimming pool chemicals Fluorescent light bulbs and CFLs
- Fire extinguishers
- Propane tanks (1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 pound tanks)
- Batteries– only auto, rechargeable and button cell types
- Household appliances with freon – air conditioners, refrigerators, dehumidifier
- Mercury thermometers and thermostats
- E-waste – items related to communications, including TVs, computers, monitors and related accessories, printers, fax machines, cell phones, radios, stereos, and speakers
- car tires (maximum 10)
- Expired or unused pharmaceuticals – both prescription and over the counter
- Confidential documents
- Plastic grocery bags – bring in 20 bags or more and get a free reusable shopping bag – while supplies last.
The following items are not accepted: paint (oil and latex), non-rechargeable batteries, motor oil, compressed gas cylinders, smoke and fire detectors, explosives, medical waste and construction debris. For disposal information for these items, call the Recycling HelpLine at (914) 813-5425.