Do you have any “household hazardous waste” to dispose of or do you need the county shredder? You can now make an appointment to drop off the waste or use the shredder at the Grasslands Campus in Valhalla. Please see the post below from the Westchester County Website: http://environment.westchestergov.com/residents/recycling-events/hmrd-days
Household Material Recovery Days
There are no scheduled Household Material Recovery Days at this time. Please visit the Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF), located at the centrally located Grasslands campus at Valhalla, to properly dispose of items that cannot be put out for garbage or recycling.
The H-MRF accepts household hazardous waste and most of the other items collected at the HMR Days, by appointment, throughout the year.
At the H-MRDs, service works on a first-come-first-served basis, and in extreme weather when working conditions are deemed unsafe, events may be cancelled or terminated early. The Mobile Shredder is available at all H-MRDs, but be advised that on occasion the Mobile Shredder unit can reach its maximum capacity for paper shredding before closing time. Although infrequent, residents should be aware of this and open-minded of the possibility of an early closure. On the day of an event, residents can call the county’s Recycling HelpLine at (914) 813-5425 to check on a cancellation or early closure.
Follow these simple rules:
- Remember to close all bags and bottles tightly.
- All chemicals must be in original or labeled containers.
- Place all chemicals in a sturdy box and in the trunk of your car.
There is no fee, but pre-registration is required for 100 pounds or more of solid material or 25 gallons or more of liquid. To pre-register, call the Recycling HelpLine at (914) 813-5425.
The following items are collected at the events:
- Most automotive fluids – antifreeze, brake fluid, gasoline
- Flammable liquids – kerosene, butane, charcoal fluid, turpentine
- Metal, jewelry and furniture polishes, wood preservatives, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, photographic and swimming pool chemicals
- Fluorescent light bulbs and CFLs
- Fire extinguishers
- Propane tanks (1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 pound tanks)
- Batteries – only auto, rechargeable and button cell types
- Household appliances with Freon – air conditioners, refrigerators, dehumidifier
- Mercury thermometers and thermostats
- E-waste – items related to communications, including TVs, computers, monitors and related accessories, printers, fax machines, cell phones, radios, stereos, and speakers
- Car tires (maximum 10)
- Expired or unused pharmaceuticals – both prescription and over the counter
- Confidential documents
- Plastic grocery bags – bring in 20 bags or more and get a free reusable shopping bag – while supplies last.
The items below are not accepted. For disposal information, call the Recycling HelpLine at (914) 813-5425.
- Paint – Oil and Latex – harden paint and put it out with the household trash in solid form. Air dry and use kitty litter or waste paint hardener. Exception: Rye Brook, White Plains and Yorktown residents must dispose of empty or hardened paint cans on bulk pick-up days.
- Non-rechargeable batteries – discard with household trash
- Motor oil – take to service station or motor oil retail outlet
- Compressed gas cylinders – helium and oxygen tanks
- Smoke and fire detectors – discard with household trash
- Explosives – flares, fireworks, ammunition
- Medical waste – hypodermic needles
- Construction & demolition debris – materials from home improvement and construction projects (e.g. drywall, wood, pipes, fixtures)
- Materials from commercial and institutional users