Check out my primer on the 2014 County Budget!
The election is over, and the County Executive and County Legislators are working on the county budget – our most important duty. Here are 10 things about the budget to help you follow our deliberations over the next month:
- When the budget is passed each year in December, it’s the budget for the following year, so we are working on the 2014 budget.
- The main sources of revenue used to fund the budget come from property tax, sales tax and state and federal aid.
- More than half the budget is spending mandated by the state and federal governments.
- The County Executive must propose the budget by November 15 each year. (County Charter 167.71)
- The County Executive’s proposed budget must contain a “budget message which shall outline a fiscal policy for the county government, describing the important features of the current budget with reference both to proposed expenditures and anticipated income.”…
View original post 333 more words